Tuesday, May 06, 2014

The Rock with Wings


I've been driving to The College campus in Shiprock, NM, a few days a week to help out at the library there.  Those mornings I drive over the mountain and then I pass Shiprock - I must tell you Gentle Readers of This Blog - it really is out in the middle of nowhere...  Shiprock is the largest city or town on the Rez.  There's a good Chinese Place there.  Living where I do in Tsaile, I'm pretty far from most everything, so I welcome a chance to eat out.

Still, I am amazed at the vastness of the this place.  I was visiting Tucson not long ago, and the first thing that I struck by was all the people!  Everything was so crowded it seemed.  Here at The College, the landscape is mostly the high country - in Tucson, it's Walmart, CVS or Walgreens on every corner - and just other shit you don't need.  And again, all the cars and people and everyone rushing around.


I stayed with my friends and neighbors up in Dog Mtn!  The pups are always glad to see me, and its a chance for my friends B and H to take a break and sleep in, while the dogs and I go for long walks in the desert!


Weather is warmer and I am still riding my bike everywhere.  May is Bike to Work Week, and believe me -  my bike works! 


It was the Pow Wow and I went as many of my friends were dancing.


My boss' people hail from Oklahoma where I'm from - here is is representing the Cherokee Nation.

When I was in Tucson it was 90 degrees on the campus - it was beautiful and awesome!  I drove back to a few inches of snow on the ground and very cold and windy weather.  But, thank goodness, those winds and rain and snow clouds are fading, and warm weather is here!

Cheers!  Bruce

No comments: